24 December, 2009

Akai's Debut-Birthing Story

Tuesday at 7:00pm, labor started. It progressed very quickly and by 9:30pm, I was starting active labor. This was a bit sudden and unexpected for me. I was planning on a much longer labor since the birthing process with Maia was so long. I also could not get into the rhythm of the contractions and felt uncomfortable being at home. I wanted to do a homebirth, but suddenly felt scared to continue laboring at home. I insisted to Ben that we go to the U of U hospital. He wanted to call the midwives that were planning on being present. I did not. I felt that they would say that I could do it, which I already knew, and in the state that I was in, I would not be able to explain to them the panic that I felt.
We left for the hospital. What seems like a very short time to me, but apparently was more like an hour, we arrived at labor and delivery. They did not feel the need to monitor my contractions before checking me in (perhaps because I was kneeling in the middle of the hallway every two minutes) and got checked in at 11:45. I was definitely getting close to having the baby because I already felt like pushing. I was 8 cm and could have kept going, but decided to have an epidural because I still felt like the birth would actually be many more hours away. I wish at this point that someone would have explained to me that the labor would only be a few more hours and I may have not opted for pain relief.
The epidural took effect about 12:30am. I was started to push shortly after. However, I few things took place in the next hour that none of us were prepared for. First, I had an anterior cervical lip because the baby was presenting himself faced right. Second, his heart rate began to drop because of a ill-positioned cord. We tried many different positions to alleviate these problems and I had to hold off of pushing for an hour. At this point, I was VERY happy for the epidural because I felt some pretty intense pain. Finally, we found a position that worked to alleviate the problems (right-stomach) and I was able to have the baby.
I birthed Akai Nicholas at 2:01am on December 23 (one minute before the earthquake in Magna). All is well.
I am disappointed that I did not birth at home. Although, I felt very comfortable at the hospital--a comfort that I was not having at home--and was able to get into the 'birthing zone' there. I feel very confident with my decision and empowered by the birth even though it was not as planned (is it ever).
Part of the reason the birth was so wonderful is because of my completely amazing husband, Ben. He was fantastic during everything and completely supportive. I don't know that I could have got through the contractions without his reminder to breathe and his touch--I am sorry about your hand. (I love you and am so lucky that you chose me)!
My mother was there for support and to witness the birth, as well. I am so lucky that she gave up on her rest to be with me, holding my back and getting faint. She is wonderful!
We also had a wonderful midwife who I gained a lot of trust in because of her substantial experience in the Middle East. Deb Penney was a wonderful midwife! I also really appreciated the nurse who was there.
We knew the right people--thanks Dr. Charlie--to help us leave the hospital ASAP. We checked out only 19 hours from when we checked in! It was great to go home and introduce Akai and Maia!
When Maia saw Akai, her smile could have lit the room. You could tell that she was instantaneously in love! (We had to force her to leave with her grandparents the next day to get a Jamba Juice). I hope that they will be a constant source of love for each other.
Thanks for reading my birthing story....Ashley




4 comments:

Joan said...

Thanks so much for letting me experience Akai's entrance into our family. What a wonderful time. I am so proud of you two. He is a lucky boy to have such terrific parents.

Cindi said...

Akai is beautiful and glad all went well. I am very impresses that you were going to give birth at home. Just having that in your plans is amazing. Maia looks so happy looking at her baby brother. Hope all is going well!

sng said...

Yay for Akai! We already miss you guys so much. Love you tons!

rosann said...

Ashley, Ben & Maia & baby Akai-

so glad that everything went well!! And that Ashley was able to do what she felt was right at the time - so proud of you! I miss seeing you Ashley - so I'm hoping I can come visit you one day (and bring you a baby present - meant to do it before Christmas but ...). Beautiful kids!! Lots of love!