06 August, 2012

Baa Haba

Ben and I are in Bar Harbor, Maine for the week. Ben got invited to a Evolutionary Conference here and I cam along for the vacation. Yesterday, we flew into Bangor. Bangor is about an hour from Bar Harbor, but it is worlds different. It reminded me of the smallest farm town in Utah. Lots of eyes on the couple who didn't quite fit in. As we drove out we learned that the surrounding area was even smaller than small town Utah. Weird. The area is beautiful. There are trees everywhere, the weather is in the 80s during the day and 60s at night. It is very humid, too. The island town is similar to Park City, lots of people walking up and down the streets, eating, and shopping. We ate and a great Italian place--I forgot how awesome the food is on the east coast--and checked into our cottage at Bay Meadow. Our cottage
View from Bay Meadow.
The harbor at Bar harbor.
Today, while Ben started at the conference at 7:00am, I drove into the town and met up with a rock climbing guide at Atlantic Climbing School. We went to 'South Mountain' for some crack climbing. It has been ~11 years since I last climbed, but even so I made it up a 5.9 climb and I got to have some fresh blueberries from a bush on the way up. The instructor, Dane, was great! He was patient enough to actually 'guide' me. Now, my hands and knees are torn up and i am feeling great! I go again on Wednesday. Sitting on a ledge.
View down from the ledge.
After climbing, I went to a wonderful little deli and had 'Leftover Thanksgiving Dinner Sandwich.' Mmmm. I sat outside on a bench and ate with a couple from Northern Maine who visit every year. I got some very useful information from the two experiences. Ben and I met up to go with his group on a whale watching tour. Unfortunately, it was canceled due to high swells. We will try again later in the week. Pics to come later.

No comments: