Well, for the most part we recovered from our colds last week sometime. I realize that an absence in posts could get people thinking that we'd met our untimely demise, especially since our last blog post was titled 'so sick.' Fortunately (for us, at least), we survived and were able to make the journey south-east to Moab, Utah for the weekend! We hiked on Saturday and Sunday in Arches National Park (http://www.nps.gov/arch/) and were able to see delicate arch after a morning hike. This hike, listed as 'strenuous' by the national park service, was not that bad--even though we were both carrying a kid either on our shoulders or in our new kid carrying backpack. The weather was perfect for hiking and we stayed in little 'cabins' a bit south of Moab so we got to barbecue on saturday. If this post seems scattered, it's because I have Maia using me as a climbing gym while I try to type. Anyway, here is what Maia had to say about our trip:
I liked when we were at the little cabin. I liked it so much, I played and played and played and played tug of war with Kona and played and played and played. I ran around screaming.
I hiked and hiked and hiked and loved it so. I climbed and climbed and climbed rocks.
I loved the drive and the car. I loved it so much.
My favorite part was when I climbed the rocks.
I caught a lizard (Uta sp.) and Maia really wanted me to put it on her arm (We did a similar thing with a gecko on a recent trip to Hawai'i)...
Of course, our baby mountain goat couldn't help herself and was climbing everything...
Ashley's Post:
Moab was awesome! I am so glad that we went! The arches were spectacular, the weather was perfect, and the drive was shorter than expected!! It was also nice to getsome much overdue excercise!
Here is the place that we stayed. There were lots of rabbits hopping around and a ditch close by to explore. We had a bbq grill and Ben cooked us up some lovely New York's (Ben and I have refrained from buying beef for a few months now, so this was quite a treat).
We also ate A LOT of junk food! Maia tasted Cheetos for the first time. I think she got tired of it, though. She asked for fish and rice when we returned home.
Akai was just as good as he always is! He is getting two new teeth and rolled over from front to back for the first time!
We walked around the city and left Lois with the bison (jk).
The most fun was the time that we hiked and climbed. Both of the kids were troopers and Kenny and Lois were good to participate with our whims. We loved having them there with us!
Windows
Little Bear
Lois and Maia in the South Window
Desert-style Yoga
Beginning of Delicate Arch Trail--we had no idea what we were in for!
Kenny and Maia in Turret Arch
Our girl is TOUGH!
Funny Face
Delicate Arch--Akai started crying right at the top, so we did not get to spend much time in the arch's beauty.
6 comments:
I thought delicate arch fell... at least that is what everyone told us (including the news) That is great that you guys had fun! and that you guys survived your colds!
We thought it was Delicate Arch, as well. Turns out it was Wall Arch.
We were planning on going to Arches right after Denver but we didn't have time. Great minds DO think alike! Glad to see you guys are having fun! It's about that time to shake off winter and get outside!
I love that place and what a perfect time to go. Loved all the pictures!
Now I understand why Maia is so spotted with scabs. Thanks for the pictures.
We are so glad you got away. That must have been fabulous. Nate wanted to tell Maia that his favorite thing to do when he was little was to CLIMB! He can remember climing everything in Moab, just like you!
Post a Comment