28 April, 2010

Weird Weekend

Ben will have to add to this post, but I just HAD to talk about two weird experiences we had this weekend.
First, (this will take a little visualization on your part) Ben and I were driving west on 33rd South. The road has two lanes going each direction and a middle lane for turning. There was a bus stopped in the far right lane and we were in the left lane approaching the bus a little under the speed limit. There was a car in the middle lane and many other cars driving in the opposite direction so view of the sidewalks was obstructed on both sides. Suddenly, we see a boy 8-10 years old dashing across the street. Ben slows down a bit more and I watch to see what this boy is doing--I imagine trying to make it to the bus before it took off. Then, I look forward. A smaller boy, 4-6 years, comes out from behind the stopped car in the middle lane. Ben slams on the breaks. Yeah for ABS and Ben's attention and quick reaction time. He had been slowing down and looking for more action on the left side of the road. We stopped only 1-2 feet from the boy who continued smiling and running across the street as if nothing had happened. Nothing Happened!!! Holy Crap! We almost hit this kid at 30mph! The car in back of us almost hit us, which, even at a slow speed, would have pushed us into the kid. If I were driving, he would be dead! And, as we are stopped, we look over and see the mother...holding a baby and yelling at him. WTH! Why wasn't she running out after him or waving her hands trying to stop traffic? SCARY!

Second, we went to Tanner Park to get some family photos taken. Those of you have been there know that they have a gorgeous area with huge granite boulders. They are lovely and have been there for years. I was walking down the stairs toward them to get Akai a blanket while Ben and Maia were taking pictures near the top of the stairs. I see some ill-intentioned young men around 18 years. I assume they are looking for a place to deal or do drugs. I am not too worried and think that they will leave because the park is PACKED with families enjoying the nice weather. I sit down with Akai and hear something strange--the shaking of a spray paint can. I am astonished! They start to spray one of the granite boulders with black paint. I shake my head in disgust and they see me. Our photographer, Ben, and Maia are now making their way toward me and see what is going on. Our photographer tries to take a picture, but they see her and she stops--these men look pretty scary. I am confused. Should I say something? Should I call the police? Then, a man walks closer (a few feet behind me--so the fam and I are between the taggers and the man). He asks them to stop and one of the men starts going a bit crazy. Yelling and swearing at him. The man smartly turns away. Three on one when you are with your kids is not a good idea, especially since they look like they could have a knife or are on drugs. We watch them finish their tag, take pictures, and stalk off, spraying other things on their way.
Having seen the movie Kick-Ass the night before, I thought that we (everyone in the park) should have stood up to these guys. At the same time, I was also thinking about my family--my children. What if they had a gun? What if my husband or one of my children got hurt or killed because we foolishly stepped up? What if they would have started a fight with that man, would Ben have to jump in to help? Ben says that if they are not hurting someone, stay out of it. I think it is too scary to consider.

Anyway, it was an unusual weekend for sure.

2 comments:

Jennie and Casey said...

wow that is CRAZY I would have thought the mother of the kid that ran across the road would have been yelling at the kid to stop him... I mean that is her child in the MIDDLE of the road with a lot of on coming traffic! I never know what to do or what I would do if I saw someone destroying property. I should update my blog with the strange things happening in Reno!!!

Em and Ty said...

Eeek! It is hard to know the best way to react, especially, as you say, when your kids are with you. Glad both things turned out safely.