I just finished reading (listening to actually) Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by Susan Jane Gilman. It is a non-fiction novel about two recently graduated women and their journey to China in 1986. This is the year that China opens to outsiders. It is also before many of our modern technologies and reliances were popular—Google Earth, iPhone, and internet cafes to name a few. Needless to say, these women encounter a world unlike any they could have imagined (imagine non-western toilets, food with brains and eyeballs, communism, factories, no English). Gilman does a marvelous job painting these audacious, head-strong, demanding college grads becoming quite embarrassed by their naiveté of the Chinese culture. Like so many Americans before them, they venture to control and conquer their destinies. Instead they eventually break down in the new surroundings.
The author decided to write her experiences largely due to seeing the culture shock experienced by troops in Afganistan and Iraq. She desires to let the reader know that not all adventures are heroic.
Although, slow in parts, Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven is a very interesting book. I recommend it to all people who are taking a trip out of the country. It was an appropriate read for me because we are currently planning a trip to China. While it made me wildly excited to go, it also addressed concerns that I may not have considered—extremely polluted air, long transportation routes, and ease of caring luggage. I realize that during this trip, I will need to adapt to the culture and not expect them to adapt to me. As an American, I should try to set a good example and adopt ways to thank and respect the culture in a way that the Chinese people are used to. This is going to be hard….
I am interested to know, of you who have traveled outside the USA (especially to a third world country or on a budget), was it a humbling experience? Did you experience culture shock? Did you modify your 'normal' behaviour? What would you do differently if you went back?
1 comment:
I hope you don't mind me offering my two cents before you head out to China.
First, I would say that the world is a big crazy place and China should be no exception! I'm excited for you.
When I first got to the Dominican Republic I would say that I had definite culture shock. It was hot, humid, dirty, smelly and entirely new. The adjustment was rough, and it would have been foolish/impossible to avoid changing my behavior. I got sick and lived in poor conditions. But what I gained was an undeniable appreciation for humankind and other ways of living. That experience has stayed with me all these years and is a big reason why I am where I am now, studying International Affairs and Development. I can not think of anything I would do differently, except maybe using more deet when I first got there.
Thailand was another experience, but not as impacting perhaps because I had already lived in a developing country and because I was only there for three weeks as opposed to two years. Nevertheless, it was eye-opening and awesome! I was lucky to have a Thai-speaking travel companion, so the culture shock wasn't really an issue. I had been used to eating street food and seeing poor people, so it wasn't so bad. The climate was similar. I was probably very American on the trip, but I am a respectful American. I probably left some of the Thais in the clubs confused when I didn't express any desire to sleep with them for money.
My advice for your trip, which you probably have already done:
1. Learn the history before you go.
2. Investigate the current events before you go.
3. Try to memorize a couple of Chinese phrases and use them, as long as you're not saying something like "Free Tibet!" or "Long Live Google!"
4. Tourist activities are fun but aren't as good at revealing the raw culture of a country.
5. Don't get into any trouble with the Chinese Government!
6. Stick with Ben. He probably knows what he's doing.
7. Have fun and send us a travelogue.
Post a Comment