09 June, 2005

Well, we spent this morning getting more estimates of the cost of damage to our car. They ranged from $1700 to $3200...we're no experts on car damage, but it seems that there is a pretty big spread there. Anyway, after driving all morning in this foreign town, we dropped off the estimates to figure discuss how we are going to get compensated. We talk for a while




with the family that hit our car about the estimates we received and they ask us to go to Maaco. You know, of "Uh oh, better get Maaco!" fame? Anyway, the reason is because they have a coupon. A coupon!! A bloody coupon!! I mean, we are not actually planning on fixing the damage, we just want the cash for the repairs
as our car is now devalued significantly (although it is now symmetrical since we have a dent on the other side that came free with purchase of the car!). But seriously, a coupon? Do we look like we accept coupons?? What part of, "Hi, here are the estimates that we collected today, do you want to give them to your insurance or pay us cash?" says "Well, here are the estimates
but we also accept coupons..."
. I mean, are we also supposed to have sales? Maybe a 20% off sale throughout the month of July special to celebrate the birth of our nation? Or how about a "pay no sales tax" throughout the month of April?? Or how about a Buy one Get One free sale? We could park our car behind their driveway and let them back into us twice for the price of one!!!
Of course, these could all be perfectly normal things to ask, but it certainly seems a little odd to a couple of backwoods Utahns.




Anyway, we got completely sidetracked from what we wanted to say. We wanted to mention that while we were out getting estimates, we stopped at a body shop with an owner who is in charge of making all of the floats for Kamehameha Day (Click here for more information on the holiday). Which is going to happen Saturday, so we
should have plenty to write about then and hopefully have lots of pictures of the floats to share . The weirdest thing happened while I was getting the estimate though; As has been the case at all of the places we went for estimates, they asked for address/phone number/etc. Anyway, I gave my phone number with the "801" area code and the guy asks, "801? Where's that?" I told him
Utah and his reply: "Welcome home!" What part of "...Utah..." says "I'm originally from Hawaii, but I just decided to get a Utah phone number while I was there on vacation and now I'm back home."???




Hopefully we [Ben] aren't [isn't] coming across as being angry today, but if we are, it is because we hardly slept at all last night...We were either too hot or too cold...never (notice, that was bold) just right. The bed sinks down in the middle and you feel like you're in a taco for most of the night, but I guess it could be worse...we could have all of the above problems plus mosquitoes
(thank God, Allah, Buddha, Zeus, whoever, that we got that taken care of). But that reminds me of another complaint/question: Where is all the good mexican food here??? All you guys back home, don't take a decent burrito for granted because one day you just may have the idea to do your field work in Hawaii where there appears to be no such thing as "mexican food."

Man, in reading this entry I really do sound grumpy...I guess I should go to bed...something that doesn't require a coupon...


Until tomorrow (when Ben is hopefully in a better mood),


Ben & Ashley




P.S. If you have the same problem as I do and people are misunderstanding what you are saying (such as in the coupon and 801 area code examples above),here is a link that will help you with your communication skills!


And, of course, this entry wouldn't be complete without a picture, right? Well, we received a request for "more leg shots" so, here you go! :-)